Serve up no-fuss desserts with these quick dessert recipes that can be served warm or cold during Ramadan!
Rainbow Arab Cookies
- 8 tbsps ghee
- 50g icing sugar, sieved
- 200g flour, sieved
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 20g ground almonds
- ½ tsp salt
- Food Colouring of your choice
- Mix the ghee and icing sugar well in a bowl.
- In another bowl, add flour and baking soda.Add to the ghee and icing sugar mix.
- Add ground almonds and salt. Mix well.
- Knead with your hands till it has a dough-like consistency.
- Divide into 4 smaller doughs. Add a colour of your liking to the dough and make sure the colour is evenly mixed into the dough.
- Take small portions of each coloured dough and make it into a ball. Continue to make the rainbow dough balls till done. Place the dough balls in individual cupcake wrappers.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes at 170C.
- 5 – 6 pandan leaves
- 1 ½ cup water
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- 2 tbsps rice flour
- ¼ tsp green food colouring
- 3 – 4 large pieces palm sugar, chopped coarsely
- ½ grated fresh coconut
- salt to taste
- 6 cup water
- Blend pandan leaves and water. Set aside the sieved juice.
- In a bowl, add glutinous rice flour, rice flour, pandan juice and green food colouring. Mix well and set dough aside.
- In another bowl, mix grated fresh coconut and salt. Set aside.
- Pinch a small piece of dough and flatten lightly. Fill the centre of the dough with pieces of palm sugar. Roll them to form a smooth ball and cook the glutinous rice balls in the boiling water. When the rice balls float to the surface, remove them with a slotted spoon and shake off the excess water.
- Coat the rice balls with grated coconut and serve immediately.
Basque ‘Burnt’ Cheesecake
- 1 lemon, grate zest
- 105g sugar
- 500 gm cream cheese
- 5 eggs
- 287g heavy cream
- 20g flour
- In a bowl, mix lemon zest and sugar. Set aside.
- Beat cream cheese on low medium speed till creamy. Add in lemon zest and sugar mix into the cream cheese.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating each egg 15 seconds before adding the next. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add heavy cream and flour and beat until combined.
- Butter and line a 9 inch pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cheesecake in oven for 25 minutes at 230°C until deeply golden brown on top and still very jiggly in the centre.
- Let cheesecake cool completely. Carefully peel away parchment from sides of cheesecake. Refrigerate for 3 hours before slicing into wedges and serve.
Agar – Agar Bandung Cincau Drink
- 1 cup grass jelly, diced
- 600ml water
- 1 pack agar-agar powder
- 120g sugar
- 400ml evaporated milk
- 2 tbsps corn flour, dilute slightly with water
- 1 tbsp rose syrup
- Boil water in a pot. Add agar-agar powder and sugar. Cook well until sugar has dissolved. 2.Add evaporated milk and corn flour. Stir well till mixture thickens on low heat.
- Divide 400ml of the mixture into a separate bowl. Add diced grass jelly. Set aside.
- Add rose syrup to the other mixture. Mix well.
- To assemble, pour the rose syrup mix in a dessert bowl to form the first layer. Refrigerate till layer hardens. Score the top of the layer before adding the grass jelly mix to form another layer. Continue layering till the top of the bowl. Once complete refrigerate for about 3 – 4 hours. Serve.
Banana Fritters With Spicy Soy Sauce
- 100g rice flour
- 2 tbsps flour
- 2 tbsps custard flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp butter
- 130ml water
- 4 – 5 banana
- In a bowl, add rice flour, flour, custard flour, baking powder, salt and butter. Mix well.
- Add water and mix well.
- Dip bananas individually and fry in hot oil till golden brown. Set aside.
Spicy Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 15 – 25 bird’s eye chillies
- Salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 – 2 lime, use the juice
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry the bird’s eye chillies and garlic till fragrant.
- Remove from pan. And pound chillies and garlic with pestle and mortar.
- Add salt, sugar, soy sauce and lime juice. Mix well.