Make Your Own Cookies
There is nothing quite like the aroma of homemade Raya biscuits baking in the oven to get you into the festive mood. Here is a biscuit recipe that will have the family rushing into the kitchen to help!
Crystal Ball Biscuits
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsps milk powder
- 1 cup ghee, melted
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Paper cups
- Mix flour, icing sugar, milk powder and ghee in a bowl till it becomes a dough.
- Form into small balls and bake on a lined baking sheet in a preheated oven of 160C for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once cooled, roll the biscuit balls in caster sugar. Place in paper cups.
2. Baking cookies can be daunting for some so why not serve up a plate of delicious cookies from Famous Amos instead. Tasting just like homemade cookies with its use of quality ingredients, this Famous Amos Exclusive Raya Twin Pack features two variants of 300g and 200g that will have family and friends reaching for more!
Prepare Your Home For The Festive Season
1. Get the family together to decorate the house by making pretty paper lanterns for Raya. Easy and fun to make, these simple lanterns are sure to brighten up your home. Take a coloured paper and cut out according to a lantern pattern. Make several versions in different colours and string them up on to the walls of your home. You can also add paper flowers, star garland and moon shapes for a more festive feel. The best part is that it’ll be the perfect background for a family portrait on the first day of Raya. For how- to steps, click on the video link here.
2. Impress the family with a Raya dish you’ve prepared! While you’re at it, take a recipe video that you can share with other family members too. Try this recipe to add to the festive feast.
Turmeric Fried Chicken
- 2 red onion
- 6 dried chillies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried shrimp
- 1 inch fresh turmeric
- 1 inch ginger
- 6 pieces chicken
- 2 tbsps cornflour
- 2 tbsps turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 5 tbsps cooking oil
- Blend red onion, dried chillies, garlic, dried shrimp, turmeric and ginger finely.
- In a bowl, coat chicken with the blended ingredients, cornflour, turmeric powder and salt. Set aside.
- Heat cooking oil in a wok. Fry chicken till cooked and golden brown. Serve hot.
2. Dining out or ordering takeaway meals from your favourite restaurant can be a great alternative to having to cook a large festive meal. During this CMCO contact the restaurant ahead of time to check if they allow dine in. For a full list of dining options at Alamanda shopping centre, visit www.alamanda.com.my/dining/.
Style Ideas For Raya
Get festive-ready with these chic picks for the whole family.
Find shawls in an array of colours and fabrics that suit the festive season when you browse through Bokitta’s Cap Shawl range. This Kashmir Pink-Printed Mosaic Chiffon features a Ready-to Wear turban and semi instant headscarf hijab to easily match your Raya outfit!
Dress up for Raya in an elegant festive outfit. This Variente top and ruffled skirt ticks all the style-savvy boxes with its modest cut, soft jersey material and slim cut silhouette that can easily take you from day to night. You can either wear it as it is, pair it with a pair of black jeans or a classic long skirt.
If you love making a statement with your look, then remember, the bolder the better. For something unexpected, opt for Habib Jewels Oro Italia 916 collection. Handmade in Italy exclusively for Habib Jewels, the pieces feature intricate European styled design and high gold content that will instantly transform any of your Raya outfit.
While certainly a staple during Raya, the Teluk Belanga baju melayu style never had it so cool as in this soft beige green piece from Omar Ali. With its hand-stitched tulang belut round neck collar with a slit in the middle connected by a single button, one often wears this baju melayu design with the kain sampin under the blouse and not over it.
Mothercare Red Waffle Bib Shorts And Bodysuit Set
You cannot go wrong when you dress the little one in a cute outfit come Raya. This Mothercare Red Waffle Bib Shorts and Bodysuit set is made from textured waffle cotton with an all over vehicle print and features details like wood-effect buttons and useful popper openings. The bright bib shorts sit perfectly over the navy micro-stripe bodysuit and perfect for first outings.