Here are a few easy ways to turn some of your favourite dishes into enjoyable meals with the family during Ramadan because even if you are under MCO, your taste buds are not!
Sardine With Baked Beans
- 2 tbsps oil
- ½ red onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced finely
- 2 – 3 bird eye’s chili, sliced
- 1 – 2 potato, cut into cubes
- 1 can sardine
- 1 cup water
- 2 – 3 lime, use the juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tomato, cut into quarters
- 1 can baked beans
- Heat oil in a pan. Add onion, garlic and bird’s eye chilli. Cook till fragrant.
- Add potatoes and stir until tender.
- Add sardine and cook for 2 – 3 mins. Add water and let it simmer.
- Add the lime juice, salt and tomatoes. Simmer for 1 min before adding baked beans. Continue to simmer for another 1 – 2 mins. Then serve.
White Tom Yam Ala Thai Restaurant
- ½ litre water
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced
- 1 inch galangal, finely sliced
- ½ holland onion, finely sliced
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaf
- 200g oyster mushroom
- 5-10 prawns, deshelled (leave head and tail intact) and deveined
- 6-10 bird’s eye chilli,
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 3 squids, sliced chunkily
- salt to taste
- 1 tomato, halved
- 2-3 limes, just the juice
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Boil water in a pot. Add chicken stock cube, lemongrass, galangal and holland onion.Let it simmer for a few minutes before adding kaffir lime leaves.
- Once broth is simmering, add oyster mushrooms, prawns, bird’s eye chillies and fish sauce. Then add squid last so as not to over cook it.
- Add salt, tomato and lime juice. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Creamy Coconut Chicken Under 30 Minutes
- 3 tbsps cooking Oil
- 2 dried red chillies, small sized
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tsps ginger garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, medium sized
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 500 gm chicken, boneless
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp coriander, chopped
- Heat cooking oil in a nonstick pan on medium-high heat. Add dried red chilies and onions in hot oil. Sauté until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and let it cook for a while before adding green chillies.
- Then add salt,black pepper, red chili powder,cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Give the mix a quick stir.
- Add water and let it simmer for 2-3 minutes until oil separates.
- Add chicken and cook for a minute until the meat changes colour. Add tomatoes and cover the pan. Let it simmer for 5 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Pour coconut milk into the broth and let it simmer for more than 10 minutes until it gets creamy and take it off the heat.
- Garnish with coriander before serving.
Rolled Cabbage With Chicken Filling
- 500 gm chicken fillet, minced
- ¼ cup scallion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 red chilli, chopped finely
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 1 tsp white pepper powder
- 2 tsps soy sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 cabbage
- In a bowl, add minced chicken, scallion, garlic, red chilli, red onion, white pepper powder, soy sauce and salt. Leave to marinate.
- Remove the core of the cabbage and boil the cabbage whole for 10 – 15 minutes. Set aside.
- Once cabbage is cool, remove layers of cabbage leaves one by one. Remove parts that are still hard.
- Add the chicken filling in the middle of the cabbage and roll the leaf as tightly as you can.
- Place the rolled cabbage into a steamer and steam for 10 – 15 minutes. Serve.